We’re looking for versatile, self-directed editors who have experience creating movies from previz to final output, especially films that contain elements of drama, action, and visual effects. You must enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Though editing has been called the "invisible art," your reel or body of work should demonstrate a mastery of the craft, an ability to iterate, and a solid understanding of visual storytelling.
- Integrate into a multi-disciplinary team (6-8 people) and continually produce useful rough edits based on the group’s collective conversations and decisions.
- Iterate quickly and submit work that solves problems rather than creates them.
- Self-manage and also be aware of the needs and requirements of those around you.
- Generate ideas and use rough edits to communicate those ideas to the group.
- Strong knowledge of an editing package or two, such as Final Cut, Avid, Premiere, etc.
- Ability to deliver without an assistant editor
- Must be flexible and react quickly to changes in the game environment
- Communication skills that allow you to describe your process maturely and succinctly
- One or more of the following (the more the better):
- Basic knowledge of 3D packages such as Maya, Moto, SketchUp, etc.
- Ability to frame shots, set up camera parameters, and create camera moves
- Lighting skills (rough or final)
- Ability to set up or tune special effects/particle systems (rough or final)
- Character posing and animation skills (rough)
- Sound design skills (rough)
- An awareness and appreciation of Valve’s various Intellectual Properties
We’re looking for an experienced sound designer and/or interactive audio "integrator" who can help us create sophisticated, emotionally-compelling audio experiences for a variety of media formats and products. You’ll collaborate with a team of broadly-skilled peers to make sound a powerful element in all current and future Valve products, from multimedia ads to video game consoles, PC, and on-line gaming.
- Identify audio opportunities and asset needs in Valve commercial and promotional products in a self-driven but collaborative manner.
- Conceptualize, schedule, design, and produce high quality audio assets in accordance with the development and testing cycle of the product.
- Integrate audio in both linear and interactive forms with Valve products using proprietary software.
- Manage all necessary audio assets (sound files, scripts, models, etc.) associated with a product using the necessary software.
- Work with engineers and artists to understand and help develop cutting-edge, proprietary audio technologies.
- Test, debug, and assure the functional quality of all audio in a given product.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in digital and analog audio production
- Five years experience in:
- Professional quality audio production and all related technologies
- Game engine audio implementation technologies
- Taking a video game or linear equivalent (e.g., film) from conception and development through publication and shipment